this post discusses around 3 ways to know your cat’s ideal weight
make sure you read and hear little by little hence that you have an understanding of and can be utilized in the direction of your everyday lifestyle.
Like other living things, cats also have an ideal body weight. By knowing a cat’s normal weight, we can monitor its health as well as whether the cat is in the fat or skinny cat category.
Knowing the ideal weight of the cat is also a preparation for having a cat for beginners. Do not let the high affection for domestic cats make us spoil them by giving them food in excessive amounts.
It should also be noted that weight gain in cats is one of the things to watch out for. Due to the significant weight gain in cats, it can increase the cat suffering from diabetes or other diseases, arthritis.
The ideal weight of the cat varies according to the type of cat. However, the ideal average weight of a cat is between 4 and 4.5 kilograms. And the cat has the largest weight at 11kg and also the smallest weight at 2.2kg.
Still, of course not all types of cats are ideal weights with these numbers. Like the maine coon cat that weighs between 5 and 11 kilograms, which is more than the ideal average weight of a cat in general.
There are several aspects that can affect a cat’s weight. Like race, age, and sex. We can weigh a pet cat and then compare it to the ideal weight, but this method cannot give accurate results. How to know the weight of a cat with these three steps.
1. Calculation using the Body Conditioning Score (BCS) table
We can look at the BCS table on the internet or when visiting the vet. Pay attention and adjust the cat’s body shape by looking at the BCS chart for cats. Cats that have an ideal body weight have a BCS value of 3 out of a scale of 5. With this scale, where the cat’s ribs are easily touched by hand without the need for hard pressure.
So cats that can be categorized as skinny cats have a BCS value on a scale of 1 out of 5, this is indicated by the cat’s ribs appearing to have protruded outwards.
Meanwhile, cats that are overweight (obese) have a BCS value of 5/5 where, this cat has a layer of fat and also parts of the ribs that are hard to feel. Generally, weight gain in cats occurs according to the type and amount of food they are given.
2. Know the weight of a cat based on its age
- Cats from 0 to 6 weeks weigh less than 0.35 kilograms
- Cats from 6 to 7 weeks weigh from 0.35 to 0.7 kilograms
- Cats from 7 to 8 weeks weigh from 0.4 to 0.9 kilograms
- A 3-month-old cat weighs 1 to 1.5 kilograms
- Cats from 6 months to 2 years weigh from 1.5 to 3.5 kilograms
- Cats from 7 months to 10 years weigh from 3.5 to 5.5 kilograms
In general, cats have a lifespan of up to a dozen years. In the process of developing into an adult cat, there will usually be an increase in body weight. So, in addition to using the Body Conditioning Store (BCS) chart, we can figure out the cat’s ideal weight by knowing the cat’s age.
3. Know the Ideal Body Weight of the Cat Breed Type
Another way to find out the ideal body weight in cats is to know the breed of the cat. In this case, later it will be possible to know where the feline race came from. After that, we can find out what the ideal weight of the pet cat breed is.
- The Persian cat has an ideal body weight of 3.1 to 5.5 kilograms.
- Domestic cats have an ideal body weight of 4 to 5 kilograms.
- Angora cats have an ideal body weight of 3.5 to 5 kilograms (male) 2.5 to 4 kilograms (female)
- The Burmese cat has an ideal body weight of 3.1 to 6.3 kilograms.
- Domestic shorthair cats have an ideal body weight of 3.6 to 5.5 kilograms.
- Domestic long-haired cats have an ideal body weight of 3.6 to 5.5 kilograms.
- Maine Coon cats have an ideal body weight of 5 to 11.3 kilograms.
- The Abyssinian cat has an ideal body weight of 4 to 6.8 kilograms.
- Sphynx cat c (male) from 3 to 5 kilograms (female)
- Siamese cat from 3.1 to 6.3 kilograms
How to serve food to maintain a cat’s ideal weight
To avoid overfeeding your cat, you can do the following:
- Switching from dry food to canned food
In general, choosing canned cat food has more protein and carbohydrates than dry food. By giving canned food, we can also schedule the cats feeding schedule.
- Cut down on snacks
Instead, encourage the cat to be more active, such as playing. And, give the cat a puzzle before it eats, so that it has to make an effort first and thus slow down its eating pattern, because it will feel interested in solving the puzzle of food that is given to it, first before eating.
- Check the physical condition of the cat before applying the diet
To find out whether or not there is a medical problem in your cat, you must first do an exam, such as going to the vet. If the cat is in the obese category, then you can replace his food with canned food.
In fact, there are many things that need to be considered before raising a cat in order to take good care of it. Having a cat at home requires a lot of effort, but for cat lovers it will be a lot of fun to do.
which is the report around 3 ways to know your cat’s ideal weight
may possibly be useful for all of oneself. will not forget about towards proportion it on social media hence your mates know above it.