Every day we hear that there are many dog poisoning, in today’s terraviva blog we tell you how to know if it has been poisoned and what symptoms it may have.
Symptoms of poisoning
When a dog is poisoned it behaves strangely. Sometimes it is noticeable quickly and in other cases the symptoms can appear within hours. These are some of the symptoms:
Vomiting, nausea, fatigue, fever, dizziness, diarrhea, tremors, convulsions, paralysis, swelling of the mucous membranes and face, disorientation, excessive drooling, difficulty breathing, muscle stiffness, pain, coughing and sneezing, etc…
What to do in case of poisoning?
It is very important that we remain calm. The first thing is to call the vet to tell him about the situation, and to explain what we should do.
In the event that the poisoning is due to the ingestion of a substance, the poison must be removed so that it does not happen to any other animal.
If possible, take a sample to show it to the vet and facilitate diagnosis.
We insist that you do nothing without the instructions of the veterinarian, because in some cases they may tell you to make him vomit, and in other cases it is not recommended.
If the substance is corrosive or he is unconscious, do not make him vomit as this will cause more damage.
If the poisoning has been through the skin, we must brush it so that the dust or substance is removed well. It is advisable to give him a bath with plenty of water and a soap that makes it easy to remove the substance. If even so we have not managed to remove the substance, we must cut the piece of hair where the substance is.
On the other hand, if the poisoning has been by inhalation, the first thing to do is take it to an open, ventilated and illuminated area. To lift it you have to do it very carefully and hold the whole body firmly.
Calling the emergency vet is the most important thing, the sooner we call, the better chance of survival.
Poisoning in dogs, what to do and what are the symptoms?