this write-up discusses concerning Types of food for earthworms and how to make them
remember to read through and hear slowly but surely therefore that you have an understanding of and can be utilized in direction of your day-to-day lifestyle.
The success factor for farming earthworms also lies in the food provided. In addition to the media factors, the food consumed by the worms is also one of the factors that will make the culture successful. Of course, the food that is given is not arbitrary and must be adapted to the digestive organs of the worms.
Types of worm feeding
Earthworms are famous for having no teeth in their mouths, accompanied by a very simple digestive system. The one that will act as teeth is an organ called a gizzard that works to grind up food. Therefore, the worm food should have a consistency that is neither too dense nor dry, with a ratio of 75% water and 25% organic matter. Some of the foods that can be given include:
- food waste and animal manure
How to breed earthworms for beginners should be carefully considered. Growers often choose to use food scraps and livestock manure for use as earthworm feed. Some of the reasons this type of food is used is because food and animal waste is classified as organic, easy to digest and can help the worm reproduction process. However, it should also be noted that if you give too much food, the worms may not be able to finish the food, so the leftover food will rot and can then cause pests.
In addition, the food for worms can also be given by adding various other ingredients, such as lamtoro leaves, corn bran, rice bran, tofu feces, cassava pulp, and plantain stems. The reason why the above ingredients are also good for earthworm feed is because they contain high protein content, especially in lamtoro leaves. Meanwhile, corn bran contains fat which is useful for the growth period of earthworms.
Meanwhile, rice bran contains protein, vitamins and minerals, and the bran has a porous nature, that is, the ability to absorb a lot of water due to the many pores that the bran has. Meanwhile, tofu waste is solid waste and is classified as potential to be used as animal feed for worms. In addition, tofu pulp contains protein, fat, carbohydrate, crude fiber, ash and water content. The last ingredient is the banana stem, it contains a lot of water to balance the consistency of the worm food. You can also read articles about animal feed ingredients from agricultural waste that we have written at website is.
For animal feed, earthworms are very fond of manure and meat from livestock. This meat can come from fish meat or another type of meat. It should be noted that the manure given to the worms must be mature. It means mature is what has suffered decomposition. Decomposition occurs when the new dirt comes out and is still hot. Therefore, wait until the dirt breaks down and matures. Fish meat or other types of meat such as cattle meat are also highly recommended for worm feeding. Meat from dead fish and meat from rotting cattle will be preferred.
In this article, we will give more clear information, what organic materials can be used as worm feed and how to make them. Types of feed for worms that are easily obtained from the surroundings, such as organic matter in the form of vegetable residues that have been previously fermented. You can also peel apples, bananas and potatoes cut into small pieces or blended. In addition, you can also use crushed egg shells.
How to make fermented food
The following is a working method that you can follow to make worm feed with a fermentation technique using easily obtainable plant waste. Some things that need to be prepared are:
- The tools to be prepared are a bucket as a container, a lid to cover the container.
- The ingredients are household waste (such as fruit peel residues, vegetable residues or other materials derived from organic materials), rice washing water, brown sugar and bran.
How to do:
- Puree all organic ingredients with a blender or cut into small pieces.
- After mashing, put all the organic ingredients in the bucket, then add the rice wash water.
- After all the organic materials have gone into the bucket, the next step is to mix it well and then close it tightly.
- Let stand for four days and keep in mind that if this feed does not emit a bad smell, it means that the ingredients made have gone through the correct process.
- After four days, strain the solid part and the liquid part of the material.
- Take the solid. The solid part is the one that will be used as raw material for the production of food for worms, while the liquid part can be used for the production of liquid organic fertilizer.
- The fermented solid is then mixed with the bran in a 1:1 ratio until it reaches a porridge-like consistency containing no water.
- After having carried out the process from the first to the seventh point with the desired results, the next step is to put the ingredients that have been mixed with the bran in a bucket and close it well. This stage has entered the anaerobic process.
- This process will last 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, the fermented food is ready to be fed to the worms.
- Give a portion that is not too much and not too little.
As additional information, the food given to the worms has different compositions and is adjusted to the maintenance stage. For example, if your goal is to fatten worms, the right feed is:
- A mixture of manure with compost from lamtaro leaves in a ratio of 1:1.
- You can also use compost mixed with paper pulp in the same ratio, which is 1:1.
- In addition, you can also use commercial feed with an amount that is adjusted between the weight of the worms equal to the amount of feed.
If the earthworms have entered the reproductive period, the composition of the food provided will also be different. This is because the nutritional needs of the worms are very different from the needs during the maintenance period. In addition, the necessary nutritional requirements will also stimulate the production of cocoons to increase the number of populations produced. The recommended feed is:
- Feeding with 100% cattle manure. It can also be mixed with other livestock manure. This composition will produce the best and maximum buds.
- A 70% compost composition can also be used, which is useful for providing nutrients in the form of vitamins and cellulose. Then, 30% cattle manure containing protein and minerals is added.
- In addition to the above two types of food, tofu waste mixed with banana stem compost is also highly recommended to meet the nutritional needs of earthworms during the reproductive period.
That’s how successful earthworms are in terms of food that can be used. In addition, we have also provided information on how to make worm food using a fermentation technique that is very easy to do. Hopefully, this article can increase your knowledge of food handling for worm farming.
that’s the write-up around Types of food for earthworms and how to make them
may perhaps be useful for all of you. do not forget towards proportion it on social media as a result your close friends comprehend concerning it.